Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Man Crush

So Ms. Esther suggested that I start blogging about cooking, since I've been thinking about learning more about the culinary arts. One thing I've always wanted to do was to learn how to sharpen knives really fast. So recently, I youtubed a video on how to sharpen knives. Of course, I had to learn from my man, Gordon Ramsay (yes I've seen all of Hell's Kitchen and my new fav series Master Chef).


When I first moved into my apartment, the first thing I bought was a knife set (even though I had no furniture or any plates). This knife set came with a sharpening rod, which I have not used until recently. The other day I spent some time learning how to sharpen my knives. At first it was a little difficult to get the rhythm down since I'm not very coordinated. Eventually with some practice, I'm was able to somewhat competently sharpen my knives. Of course I had to test my sharpened knife on an onion (btw, cutting an onion gracefully is a beast of its own). 

Another video I liked was of Ramsay cooking steak. Who doesn't like steak? This looks so delicious!



I've known about the hand touching technique to gauge the readiness of the meat, but I have yet to try it myself (I haven't bought beef since I moved to Mass). One day I will try it. Also because of Ramsay, I want to make beef wellington. This dish shows up on every Hell's Kitchen episode (also risotto). Maybe this will be my next adventure...when I get around to it.  

Speaking of man crushes:

No comments: